Sunday, October 29, 2006

Next week's plans

This week I made my goals for all 3 sports
Swim 16700yds 5:17
Bike 2:09 between 1 cycle 60 class and a MTB ride
Run 36.8 miles in 5:16 and 6 runs

I feel very strong as if I had an easy week. That's the most I have run in quite a while but it was all easy at around 8:30 miles or 7mph. The target of 145bpm is probably too low for me and I'm starting to feel that 150 is a more realistic target with a cap of 155. Friel's zone 2 for me is 149 to 158 (using a LT of 174) and I think I'm going to move up to that.

While running on the treadmill (AKA "The squirrel cage" and "Astro's walker") I have noticed something significant. By changing my running position I can raise and lower my HR while running the same speed. I find the lowest HR while running like the Pose method, that is: lifting my knees and falling forward and not pushing off with my toes. When I do that I naturally increase my cadence to about 182. Now is the increase in cadence more efficient, is it helping to pump blood with my legs or maybe even using muscles that are allready strong and not using weaker ones from pushing off or maybe something else, I'm not really sure, it's just an interesting observation.

My shoulders were pretty sore by saturday from all of the swimming during the week. I wasn't sure how I would feel during the masters swim but after the warm up and stretching I felt really good. Lori was pretty fast and I couldn't ever draft off of her, I fell behing about 10 seconds on the longer intervals but the next person behind me was about 10 seconds back too so I kept my place in line. It seemed like a lot of 1:20 paced stuff, just what I needed. No real speed work during the week on my own, just a lot of long moderate intervals.

The bike riding went as planned with about 2 hours split between a spin class and a MTB ride. I'm learing how the class works and the time goes by faster. I had thought of riding another loop at Maybury on the MTB but I was at an hour allready and it was starting to get dark.

I got a lot of sleep this week and ate pretty well too, I think that helps so much with the training. Mostly 8 to 8.5 hours a night and not much Taco Bell :(

Next week's plans are the same as this week's except I'm going to bump my target running HR to 150 and cap it at 155, I'll see how I feel at the end of the week, if I feel drained I'll bump it back down.

Mon Swim Endurance 3.5 to 4K Run 30 minutes easy
Tue 60 min spin class, 30 min run easy
Wed Swim short, maybe 1.5K, Run 70 minutes easy
Thu Swim 3.5 to 4K, Spin class?
Fri run Swim pull sets, Run 45 minutes
Sat Swim Masters Run 60 minutes
Sun MTB or spin class, Run 60 minutes

5 to 6 hours running
5 to 6 hours swimming
2 to 3 hours biking

No comments: