Monday, October 23, 2006

Health Challenge

I may be splitting hairs here but here is my health challenge for this winter.

After talking to a few coaches from ST I challenged myself to lose some weight for next season. My health club, Lifetime Fitness, did a health evaluation on me and the results were a little surprising. They did the body fat test, crude VO2 test, flexability and strength tests.

Weight 150lbs, 8.8% body fat but that test was using only 3 points with the calipers, the tech said if they did more points I would likely be near 11% which seems about right. Now doing some math here is what I came up with.

16.5 lbs of body fat (using the 11%)
133.5 lbs of lean body mass
Goal of 142 lbs which will put me at 6% body fat
133.5 lbs of lean body mass
8.5 lbs of body fat

I don't know what the healthy low limit is but 6% may be too low for off season training, maybe my goals should be more like 144 lbs which will put me just over 7%.

VO2 came out to 47 which I'm not surprised about. I don't feel I'm that gifted in any way and 47 is on the high side of average, so if I lose the 6 lbs like I want to, it should go up to about 50. Also I was not rested at all for this crappy test. All of my other calculators indicate the I'm closer to 55 which makes me feel better but it's still just a number.

No comments: