Monday, November 06, 2006

Training Thoughts

Week totals:

Swim ~17000 meters (18300 yards) in 5:38
Bike 2 hours (2 spin classes)
Run 40.2 miles in 5:36

Total time of 13 hours 14 minutes

After looking at my 2007 ATP it looks like 1 more week untill I start my run training with any type of intensity so one more week of easy stuff :)

I've got to try something different this year so instead of working though a marathon plan I'm going to work on a faster plan. I feel that I am limited by speed more than endurance and since I have never taken this approach, this seems like a good time to try it.

I expect to get a bit faster fairly quickly then level off, guessing at some numbers might put me around 7:50 miles at an easy pace, I would be very happy with that. It's hard to speculate what will happen after that but hopefully running fast for shorter distances won't be such torture.

Pretty sure I'm going to drop down to 4 days of swimming a week, my shoulders have been sore and this 39 year old body isn't repairing itself as fast as it used to. I feel really good after a day off so the 3 hard days in a row (thu, fri, sat) will be broken up. Volume should only drop to about 15,000 meters since I will be only dropping the small day.

Biking is still taking a back seat to running and swimming but whenever I get a chance to go Mountain biking, I will take it. Tuesday and Thursday is still in the plan with the spin classes with Thursday at Novi so I can ride with Jon L.

One more week with this:

Mon Swim Endurance 3.5 to 4K Run 30 minutes easy
Tue Swim Short 60 min spin class, 30 min run easy
Wed Run 70 minutes easy
Thu Swim 3.5 to 4K, Spin class?
Fri Run 45 minutes, maybe bike too
Sat Swim Masters Run 60 minutes
Sun MTB or spin class, Run 60 minutes

5 to 6 hours running
4 to 5 hours swimming
2 to 3 hours biking

After this week I am looking at this run plan for approx 4 weeks, when I get through this I can guage how I feel and then post the next 4 week plan. This is still an experiment so after a few weeks I may change my plans again.

Mon Run 60 min easy (about 7.5 miles)
Tue Run 10 min easy, 8X400m R pace 400m recover, 10 min easy (about 6.5 miles)
Wed Run 60 min easy (about 7.5 miles)
Thu 30 to 45 min easy with ~ 8 Strides (probably day off)
Fri 15 min easy, 4X1200 I pace w/4 min recoveries, 15 min easy (about 9 miles)
Sat 30 to 45 easy with ~ 8 Strides (about 4 to 5 miles)
Sun 60 to 90 min easy (about 7.5 to 10 miles)

So I am looking at the same volume I am doing now only with a bit more intensity. If I cut anything it will be the friday run and replace it with easier running.

No comments: