Sunday, November 26, 2006

Flirting with the Bonk

Morning ride the Cycle 60 spin class

60 minutes HR 127.

I still have a hard time getting my HR up for the first 30 minutes of the class. The instructors talk about exercising near my Anerobic Threshold but I don't know their definition of that.

I've heard it described as:
180-age (141bpm for me)
180-age +10 (151bpm for me)
First deepening of your breath (around 140bpm for me)
Lactate Threshold (165bpm for me)

I've been using 140bpm for these classes mainly cuz my focus in on the run and this leaves the classes to be done at an easier pace.

On to the Bonk story

Run on Hines drive, very nice outside at near 55 degrees F
8 miles 1:08:14 HR 141

I've been trying to lose weight so cutting calories during the day and trying to train is difficult. I got done with the spin class and was home by 10:30am, watched a little TV and dozed off. Well I wanted to run outside but hadn't eaten anything yet and I had to get on the road soon since it gets dark around 5:00pm now so I left with 2 bottles on my fuel belt and 2 gels with plans of running 8 to 10 miles depending on how I felt.

Started off a bit easy, HR was low, by 3 miles I felt tired so I ate a gel, no big deal I've done that before, normally it takes 5 minutes and I feel better, I didn't. Got to my 4 mile mark, stopped ate my second gel (my bail out emergency gel that has been in my fuel belt pocket for about a year) After 2 minutes of running back home, suddenly I felt good, I mean wide-eyed ready to do some tempo work good!!! Sometimes that extra bit of sugar wakes up my brain and I feel so much better. Had to hold back on the rest of the run, first 4 miles were about 8:35's and struggling while the last 4 were 8:20's finishing with an 8:00.

I debated on running the extra 2 miles but really what would that give me. I was allready at my max milage, 2 miles would not do anything on the grand scheme, 46 miles or 48 miles - it didn't really matter. It is so early in the off season and I don't want to burn myself out before the serious training starts in March. Also tomorrow I've got a stressfull running day with 8X400meters and need to be fairly rested for it.

No comments: