Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Monday Tuesday

I kind of wanted a day off on monday but didn't schedule it so I cut my swim down to 1500yds and got some extra rest. Jumping to 4000yd swims seems to be too big of a jump for me right now so I'm going to swim 2 4000's, a 3000 and a 1500 this week instead of 4 4000's. After a few weeks of building up to it I'll be up to 16000 a week. I don't hurt after the swims (ie shoulders) just generally tired.



Tuesday I forgot my HRM transmitter for my run and probably ran too fast but it was a good motivator for me. My plans were to run 8:30's to 8:45's for 5 miles and then drop about 5-10 sec from that average for the next 5 miles. Well the first 5 miles I averaged 8:15's and the last 5 miles I averaged 8:05's. Guessing at what the HR was I would probably say the first 5 were about 150-152 and the next 4 miles were 155-158. My last mile was a bit faster (7:53) and probably had a HR of 162-165. I tried to hold the PE in the 13-15 range while kicking it up for the end. Mostly a pace that I could hold a conversation with.



It seems to me that my breathing has improved much quicker than my legs have gotter stronger, although both have gotten so much better, I feel that my legs are a little behind and am thinking of adding some strength training for them. I guess it's possible that they are behind because of the lack of bike time which will increase as soon as this crappy weather subsides. :(



Anyhoo, the run was 10 miles, 1:21:48 (a PR for me) 8:11 miles, no HR info.

2 comments:

Robert Evans said...

How many run miles are you putting in a week?

jaretj said...

For the last 2 months I have been running 25 miles a week with an off week of 21 miles. This week starts another base cycle and I'll increase to 27 miles and then 2-3 miles for the next 2 weeks after that. This week the extra miles is comming from a 5th run of 2 miles(which happens to be today) to increase my run frequency. I'll keep slowly increasing distance untill I get to 35 miles. That will as much as I feel I can handle for this season. My first A race is July 16 (Muncie Endurathon) so I've kept the miles lower for now as not to be burned out by then.