Sunday, May 22, 2005

Nankin Mills Duathlon

This was my first duathlon and it went pretty well, my goals for the race were to run both 5K's under 23 minutes and bike 21mph.



Everything went well on the first run, I set my pace and stuck with it came in at 22:39 HR 171.



Bike started terrible, I could only ride about 19 untill I found my rear brake dragging on the wheel (about 1.5 miles down the road) then I was able to ride 22-23mph, probably lost a minute or two but after that I felt normal. Finished the bike with an average of 21.4 HR 164.



The second run I felt much better than I thought I would, I kept looking at my HRM to make sure I was running fast enough and keeping the HR high, sometimes it would drift down if I didn't pay attention. Finished the second run at 22:20 HR 170, actually faster than my first run.



Overall I was 1:39:38 HR 166, for 5K,30K,5K. 8th out of 24 in my age group. For a training day that I didn't taper for I am very happy with the result. I hit all of my goals and then some. I was most concerned with the runs but I felt strong on the second one right from the start.



After the race I rode 17.7 miles in about 1:00:00 HR 128 for some extra spinning miles

No comments: