Tuesday, January 31, 2006

It was all going so well

Saturday

Run 4 miles 34:24 HR 145



Sunday

Started off so well and about 3.5 miles into the quality run I got a cramp in my left calf. I tried to stretch it out but couldn't get it to go away so I went over to the hot tub and tried to massage it out. That didn't work either so I gave up on the run.



I went home to try something else, what else could I do? Ice, more stretching, NSAIDs? I tried them in that order. First ice, Owwww!!! definitely the wrong way to go, it got so tight I could barely move it. Stretching, that helped a little, it got me back to where I was before. NSAIDs, that helped a little more and now I'm starting to worry about muscle damage but there is no knot, bruise or swelling.



Last on my list is heat, I have allways done well with heat so I tried it out. It loosened up much more but was still difficult to flex my ankle. I stayed with the heat and took monday off of work to let it heal up in case it was muscle damage. I haven't taken a personal day in over 2 years so I figured it would be OK with the new boss.



Today at work it started out a little stiff. As the day went on and I walked more and more on it, my calf got better and better. I decided to take another day off of training just to be carefull but will try to run on it tomorrow. Just a short run to check it out. If it is still a problem I'll take 2 or 3 more days off from running and start my indoor cycling program early if that doesn't bother it. My swimming should continue as normal.



I've been so strong lately. I've gotten lots of sleep and recovery time, been eating half way decent and even lost 2 lbs. Nothing I've done would indicate that I have damaged my legs in any way, In fact, I've never felt better while running so much. No aches and pains or anything. I'm still thinking that this is just a bad cramp possibly from a poor diet, I have been cutting calories and cutting back on the Gatorade and GU and possibly that was the problem.



Going to keep my fingers crossed cuz I've got a Marathon on April 1 that I want to do but if I need take time off to stay healthy, I'll do that.

No comments: