Saturday, November 12, 2005

Saturday

I'm getting burned out very quickly on swimming so I've got to take another approach. Instead of looking for volume I'm going to look at frequency. Going to shoot for 4 swims of near 3500yds instead of the 16K/20K/16K/12K route I was looking at before. Swimming is not my limiter right now, running is so I'm turning my focus on running for now while still holding about 14K a week in the pool.



Friday I took off for recovery, kind of imprompt but I needed it.



Saturday my masters swim was cancelled so I'm going to swim sunday morning in brighton with another group.



Got on the mountain bike again today at Pinckney Rec Area and rode the Potawatomi trail. This trail really humbled me, people told me it was really difficult so I took off a bit on the easy side. Within the first mile I was winded from the hills and decided to take it even easier than I started. There is a section on the map that says "Serious Hills" and it was no joke. They kicked my butt. There were several hills that I couldn't climb cuz I didn't have the skill as well as a few later on that I didn't have the strength to climb. I fell 3 times but at very slow speeds so I wasn't injured and it was on some soft ground, that was within the first 5 miles on the ride.



So a total of 17-18 miles (depending who you ask) took me 2:45:00. That had about 15 min of breaks in it. I didn't eat anything untill 2 hours into it when I ate a Cliff Bar. Other than that I drank 20 oz of Gatorade and another 30ozs of water from my Camelbak. I should have taken a second at 1 hour to eat something but I really didn't plan on it.



The trails were a lot of fun and I will be out there again soon if it stays dry. I can see this really helping my strength for time-trialing. There may be another bike in my future if I stick with it. I'd like to borrow a full suspension bike just to see what the difference is.

No comments: