Thursday, August 25, 2005

More for Thursday

Bike 38.5 miles in 1:51:08 HR 145



This may sound selfish and is a departure from what I normally feel but I really enjoyed hurting people on my bike ride this evening.



I really planned to have an easier bike ride but after about 10 miles I picked up a drafter and got inspired to ride harder. Riding from Northville to Dearborn on Hines drive there was about a 5-10mph headwind, I passed a guy at a light and he was nice enough to ask if I minded him riding behind me. Well I said "Sure, ride as long as you want" but what I really meant was ride as long as you can cuz I'm planning on dropping you. He stuck with me pretty well for about 5 miles at 22-24mph but I could hear him breathing hard on some of the up hills so I took them a little bit harder to see what he had.



We passed another group and I picked up another drafter, another nice guy, very courtious, and shortly afterwards I dropped the first guy. Then I picked up another drafter, a tandem, by then I was so inspired to ride hard I dropped them in just a few miles. I actually waited for them for a few seconds but when I saw that they were toasted I just continued on. I got caught at the next light, then the second drafter caught me (long light) we chatted for a minute and he was just finishing. I got to the end of Hines, turned around and blasted about 24mph home with a slight tailwind.



Now I know that these guys are just recreational cyclists and that I would get toasted by the local racers, but I was in their place just a year ago and have worked so hard to get where I am and I feel really good about my fitness right now. It's like I've accomplished something difficult and the feeling is very rewarding.



I just had to toot my own horn, just this once, but I'd also like to thank everyone that has helped me get this far. God, for giving me the strength and will to anything I put my mind to doing, my dad who is allways telling me how proud of me he is and reminding me that I'm doing good, my good friend Rhonda Armstrong who is one of the nicest and sincerest people that I know, my club who gives me pointers and inspiration to do my best, my old coach Norm Bresinski for teaching me the basics of triathlon training, Mike Ricci for answering my questions even though I'm not one of his athletes, Slowtwitch.com's triathlon forum which is an endless source of information, inspiration and comic relief, Gordo Byrn who doesn't even know who I am but who's writings have taught me so much and finally Roman Krzyzanowski for introducing me to triathlon and changing my life.



jaretj :)

No comments: