Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Sunday the last training day of the big week

Bike 52.8, 2:39:00 HR 135



I felt so much better at the end of the week than I thought I would, in fact I started the week averaging 19mph on the bike and finished the week near 20mph. I feel a very important part of the week was the rest and recovery time. I was sleeping 9 hrs a night, sometimes took a nap in the afternoon, and made sure that I refueled after every workout. Stretching was a regular part of the day and it normally took place after the hardest workout.



Something interesting happened on the bike half way through the week. Starting on thursday I couldn't push a big gear like I did before so I had to bring my cadence up. I had it up above 95rpm most of the time after that to hold the speed that I wanted to. I didn't seem to have enough strength to do what I usually did and feel that I found a more efficienct way of riding. Although I did have a difficult time on the hills in Kensington, the rest of the hill riding wasn't too bad.



On the run I worked on being efficient all week. I've been reading some books on running and am incorporating the ideas into my run. The ideas aren't too different from what I've been doing so the suttle chages are blending in well.



The open water swimming went well. I was much straighter than I thought I would be and needed to sight less than I did last year. The speed was up too and the cooler water was nice to swim in. It looks like all of the swimming I did over the winter is paying off. :)

No comments: