Tuesday, October 26, 2004

11 days out

I'm 11 days away from the longest race of my life and here are some thoughts. I had a friend ask me the other day if I was ready for the race and this was my reply:



"I feel that I was more ready a month ago. Starting my taper on tuesday. Today looks very sunny and am going to try to get in a bikeride today. I'm not intimidated by the run anymore since running the20 mile run, I breeze through 14 mile runs now. Right now I am very healthy, not overtrained, good attitude, no knee or ankle pains. I was a little concerned about my shoulder a few weeks ago when I dropped my bike on Hines Drive but have healed up quickly."



This got me thinking if I felt that I was in the best shape I could possibly be in. Well, the answer is No, I could be in better shape but at the risk of being hurt, neglecting family/friends and overtraining.



Last June my knees hurt so much that I had to take days off of running. I'm actually running about the same milage (approx 30 a week, yes there are times I run and don't log it here) but all of the runs are geared toward running long and I'm capable of running long without hurting myself now. I could be faster but at what expense? More runs and less recovery time? Time away from my son? (I'm a single dad with a 15 year old son to take care of myself). I am a faster runner than I was in June. A typical 12 mile run took a lot out of me then, I'm about 10 minutes faster now and even do tempo work in the middle of the run. On the bike I have matured a lot. Even though I came from cycling, I know how to ride a hundred miles much better now, nutrition wise and pacing wise. To run after getting off of the bike is much easier now.



Right now I'm physically in very good health. My knees feel good, legs are strong, shoulders are strong, lungs great and mentally I feel great. Will I meet my goals for IMFL, I don't really know but I plan on beating them.



Other than my health, my equipment is ready to go too. Wetsuit/goggles are good, bike just got rebuilt, shoes are well broken in and the trip is all planned out. Race plan has been written, pre-race and post-race plans are figured out too.



Today is the last day of hard training and will have a long straight swim. The rest of the time will be spent doing easier workouts and resting. 11 days from now I hope to be an Ironman.

1 comment:

Bruce Baby said...

Found your site through my triathlon link on my blog. Just completed my first Iron-distance race at the Great Floridian in Clermont, outside of Orlando. Wonderful experience and, by reading some of your posted material, you're ready. If you want some comedy relief during your taper, hop on over to my blog and look and my posts. I began my site about 2 weeks before the race. You won't believe the mishaps, the stupid and zanny things I did building up to the event. It will be everything you'd hoped and more. My site is:

brucebaby.blogspot.com

Enjoy and good luck!

Bruce