Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Pulling myself out of the hole

I know I've dug myself pretty deep but I knew that a break was comming and I didn't want to let up too early. I'm not down so far that I'm cronically tired, hurt or sick, just had a high training load for 2 weeks longer than origionally planned. This is essentially my tapering for the Masters State Meet. I have omitted swimming from this formula since I don't track it with WKO and will taper that sperately by reducing volume ~25%.

For those of you that are familiar with WKO you will know what I'm talking about.
Right now I'm sitting at a balance of approx -40 which means that my 7 day average (ATL) is 40 points higher than my 42 day average (CTS). I need to bring that to a +10 by next thursday without losing much of the training effect that I have worked so hard on all winter.

Here is where the number crunching starts. My CTS is about 520 TSS/week right now and my ATL is near 800 TSS/week, a difference of 280 TSS/week or 40 TSS/day. I need to drop my training so that I accumulate just less than 500 points in the next 7 days. Breaking that down 50/50 for bike and run I can spend 250 points on each dicipline.

250 for the run will yield about 20 to 25 miles of running and 2 to 2.5 hours of biking...Not much for a training week but my goal is to be strong for the swim meet. After that I will have 8 more weeks to work with, 6.5 to dig myself again and then taper for Triple T. This taper plan for the meet will give me some practice with WKO and how easy/hard it is to calculate my fatigue.

On a good note, I do feel healthy and have been able to get 7 to 8 hours of sleep a night for the past several weeks. I'm strong and have been able to complete workouts as planned but am no where near 100%. I'm not physicaly hurt in any way, my knees, hips and shoulders feel good and I've lost 2 lbs in the last 3 weeks :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.