Sunday, September 11, 2005

Sunday

My last hard training day before Pineman HIM.



Run 5.1 miles 43:41.2 HR 146

Bike 52.8 miles 2:38:04 HR 137

Run 5.1 miles 42:28.0 HR 154



I didn't go into this as rested as I would have liked to but I had some specific things I wanted to work on. First of all, Bike pacing, I wanted to keep my HR under 150bpm for the entire ride, I only let it drift up when climbing and only for a few minutes at a time. I was a little bit slower, but felt very strong comming off the bike.



I had a bigger breakfast than normal on a training day. I had a race day breakfast. 3 pancakes, water, lite syrup and a cliff bar.



The first run I felt like crap. After I got 3 miles in I felt better but not great. I took my first gel at 2.5 miles and the second just before the bike started.



Started the bike easy and warmed up into it. The temp was about 70 to start and then warmed up to 85. 1 gell every 30 minutes with 2 bottles of my Gatorade and 1 bottle of water. I got off the bike with what seemed like an empty stomach, which is what I wanted, I didn't want to feel bloated.



Started the second run with a plan to run an 8:30 pace and then neg split the run. What actually happened was I started with a 8:15 pace and I held it for the entire run. It felt like an easy pace so I stuck with it. I got 1 gel down at 1 mile and the second at 3.5 miles which is a good start for my run nutrition. Since my stomach didn't get upset, I know that the rest of the run would go well since I could keep eating.



Race wheels and shoes will help my splits so I feel pretty confident going into my next race. My goals are somewhat relaxed from Muncie which was probably a little too fast for me. Swim 35:00 w/wetsuit 38:00 w/o, bike 2:35, run 1:50 or better so I'll start with an 8:30 pace and see how I feel at the half way point, if I feel good, I'll pick it up. I'll keep the Bike HR under 150 again but ride closer to it than I did today. Total, I hope to be under 5:10 and be able to run my last mile hard.



Right now I feel healthy, my knee and shoulder have healed up from last weekend and my legs feel strong. My swimming has been fast lately, I killed everyone in lane 4 yesterday since there was no lane 5 workout. I really hope this race is a wetsuit race so I can use the new suit I bought earlier this year. I feel slightly under trained for this race, but that is a good thing as I know I will go into it healthy and strong.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How did the race go amigo?

Unknown said...

LOL I don't even like to drive that far, much less run!!! ;-)