Thursday, December 08, 2005

Training Thoughts

I've been kicking around this idea for a few weeks now and I wanted to note it somewhere so I wouldn't forget it.



My goals for next seasons' HIM's are:

Swim 32:00

Bike 2:30

Run under 1:45



I can do these individually right now (fairly easy for the bike and run) but I haven't been able to put them together yet. Since I came from cycling I have allways taken my cycling abilities for granted but last year I got much faster than I expected and then felt that I should allways be able to ride that fast no matter what I did. Because of that I really didn't put enough emphasis on the bike later in the season and what happened is that my run suffered while racing.



Planned changes:

Get on the bike at the end of February and getting in longer rides by the end of March instead of starting at the end of March with my first really long ride at the end of May. Get my 4 hour ride on the weekend with my 2 hour ride during the week with a fun ride on sunday.



Build my run endurance up through April using Daniels Marathon plan A to run a spring marathon and then switch to Daniels Running formula Blue plan so I can get in the right types of workouts leading up to my A races. Last season I was lost on the types of workouts to do. Long easy runs, shorter fast runs, repetitions and pickups had no real structure, this year they will.



Swim long and hard untill June, then back off to 8 to 10K a week following Gale Bernhardt's swim plans from workout in a binder just like I did last season.

No comments: