Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Triple T Race Report

Prologue

Swim 5:49. Typical swim, I didn’t go too hard but smooth and steady.
Bike 12:28. Again, not too hard but an OK pace
Run 7:10. I felt a bit winded and held onto the pace as long as I could.

I didn’t redline this race really cuz I didn’t feel that strong. I still think that I screwed up my taper by going too hard the weekend before.

Race #2 Saturday morning
Swim 1500 meters, Bike 24.8 miles, Run 6.55 miles

Jaret Johnson 24:57 0:49 1:18:01 1:09 136 51:02 2:35:56

This race went as planned, steady on the swim and bike but slightly slower on the run. Still I was happy with the result. I only ate one gel on the bike and didn’t finish my drink. I had planned to get most of my calories from the drink but since I didn’t finish it, I was short for the run.

Swim: Smooth again, not a blistering fast time still solid. I think the swims were a little bit longer than last year.

Bike: Probably a little too easy, I was really worried about going out too hard.

Run: Smooth again, probably should have run a little quicker on the way back.

Race #3 Saturday afternoon
Bike 24.8 miles, Swim 1500 meters, Run 6.55 miles

Jaret Johnson 1:17:23 2:02 27:04 2:04 53:27 2:41:57

Bike: I felt pretty strong on this ride. I went out conservative and came back much harder. Going up the hill on Route 125 felt good. Started at 225 watts and built up to 260. Back over three stage hill was easy and then soft-pedaled downhill the rest of the way in.

Swim: This was actually one of the better swims of the day at 79th cuz most people biked too hard. I was smooth again in the water with no problems at all.

Run: A little slower than in the morning going up the hills, I should have pushed it a bit more to save some time. Some clouds came out and made the run a little more comfortable.

Race #4 Sunday morning
Swim 1.2 miles, Bike 56 miles, Run 13.1 miles

Jaret Johnson 32:33 1:19 3:17:55 2:48 1:58:16 5:52:49

Swim: A good solid swim for me despite how tired I was. I was really happy to see that time when I got out of the water. I felt strong after the first couple hundred meters and went with it.

Bike: There was a little guessing game going on here. I road the first loop pretty conservatively. Going up the long hill I felt strong but held the power back to 215 to 225 watts. That seemed like the right thing to do. For the rest of the loop I felt strong. I noticed my split time for the first loop was 1:35, which was on the quicker side of my projected time so I figured that I could go a little easier on the second loop. I felt strong for the entire second loop but I really feel that I went too easy and lost about 6 minutes from the first loop. The time lost I think came from riding too easy on the flat sections.

Run: This is where I went too conservative on the first loop where I walked for 30 seconds on the first steep hill and for 30 seconds on the way back. The second loop I ran the whole way. On the way back when I got to the top of the hill I pretty much ran as hard as I could all the way to the finish. My first loop was ~1:00:30 while the second loop was ~57:45.

My nutrition went as planned for this race. Seven gels on the bike as: One to start then one every 30 minutes. I also drank 3 bottles of Infinit heat mix while on the bike. For the run I ate one gel in transistion and then 1 every 2 miles like clockwork. By the time I got done with the first loop I was still feeling well fueled and strong for the second loop.

No comments: