Saturday, September 09, 2006

Saturday Frenchtown Relay

Did a relay with my dad today, it's the first time I've done one and I needed this experiment to answer some of my questions.

In the relay I did the swim and the run while my dad did the bike. He had a good time and that is what was important.

My experiments were to see what I could do without having to ride the bike.
I wanted to know if my swim and runs were limited by technique or endurance. I still don't have the official results from the race yet and can't compare to my times to my training partners so I still have to accepts the distances the race director provided.

First, I know the swim was long. 28:45 for me in a wetsuit? Come on Kenny, get the distance right. I felt I should have been near 25:30 since I swam Sylvania in 27 and MidEast Champs in 27:30 without wetsuits in either one. But I did get an average HR of 161 during the swim which is higher than I've ever recorded. When the results are posted I'll compare that to close training buddies times. If the time differences are near the same as they normally are, I'll know I didn't have a fast swim and can conclude that my swim is limited by speed/technique rather than endurance.

Now the run I was dissapointed with. 6.7 miles in 49:25 HR 172, 7:23 min/miles which is roughly equivelent to a 45:44 10K. Now that is only about :30 faster than I ran at Sylvania and 1:10 faster than Indy. Most of the run my HR was right around 173-174 which is where I calculate my LT at so I know I wasn't slacking off. I'm not a big fan of HR training but I find it a useful tool to guage intensity while racing. If it's high then I know I'm working and not daydreaming. If the course was measured correctly then I feel that I am limited by speed and not endurance. I've had that feeling for a while now, I will do something about it this winter and reveal those plans a few weeks after Pineman, after I've had some time off and focus on swimming for 7-8 weeks.

Oh yes, allmost forgot, I'm planning on signing up for IMMOO '07

No comments: