Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Training Thoughts

Everything is still going well with the new schedule format but I missed 1 swim last week cuz of personal issues, not cuz I was tired.

The Toyota Challenge at Deer Creek is about 2 weeks away and I'm coming into form better than I expected. I've dumped a couple pounds and have been consistent with my running.

The schedule change has allowed me to be on my bike more without being tired from running. The only catch is that I have to get riding as early as possible on Wednesday so I can be done before it gets dark. Tuesdays I'm rather fresh for the hard ride and Thursday/Friday ride is actually getting done. That leaves Saturday to do a 2 hour ride as hard or easy as I want to. Last Saturday I rode fairly hard through Kensington and the surrounding area while hitting the hills aggressively knowing that I was done afterwards.

My running has been above 40 miles a week of mixed intensities. A long run, a hilly run, a tempo and some junk miles too. Swimming is up too but I won't be in as good of shape as I was in May/June. I should go 32 minutes or quicker at Deer Creek in my current shape provided the conditions are ideal.

Bike and run goals will be the same as they were for Steelhead but I really feel I'll be in better shape this time. On the bike I'll ride just under 170 watts for the first 1:15 and under 180 for the second 1:15+. That should bring me in near 2:30 and set me up for a strong run. I will error on the easy side if I have to make a choice, the run goal is the most important for me right now. Realistically I feel anything under 1:50 will be a good run but secretly I want to run near 1:45. We'll see how things go on race day.

Muncie took more out of me than I thought it would 3 weeks before Steelhead and I was lagging behind on my training relying on my accumulated fitness to pull me through. This time I'll be doing a shorter taper and more volume up untill 5 days before the race.

So now 2 weeks out I'll be hitting near the same volume as the last 2 weeks with the exception that my long run will only be 1:40 instead of 2:10+. I may or may not make up the volume during the week, I haven't decided yet, it really depends on timing and how I feel.

No comments: