Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Training Thoughts

What to do for next year?

Well for the last 2 seasons I've tried to run a lot to build endurance, I've gotten faster but only a little last season. Why? I feel it's because I have a difficult time running faster cuz I'm inefficient. I'm really good at running 8 min/miles but when I get under 7:30 it really kills me. Because of this I think a change is in order.

I'm not going to focus on run volume this winter where as last winter I ran 40 to 50 miles a week, I'm going to focus on quality for 2 of my runs per week and leave the other 3 days as easy and short running so I can recover easily. One of my workouts will come from Dave Peterson's track day and the other I'll just get out of Daniels Running Formula. I'm looking to peak at 35 mpw while holding average milage near 30 mpw.

In place of the time spent running I'm going to put that toward biking, easy, hard or whatever I feel like doing untill January when I will start my next training program prepping for the Triple T again. This year I want to peak for that race weekend and not use it to train through. So that will be my first "A" race so to speak and then peak again 10 weeks later for Steelhead 70.3.

My swimming volume will be about the same as last season (10,000 to 14,000 a week) and I will continue to swim with LALA (masters club) throughout the fall/winter/spring. We may have a VIP coach soon, I don't think I'm allowed to say who yet but she is very influential in the world of swimming and triathlon.

A preliminary race schedule for next season:

Duathlon in April or early May
Triple T in late May "A"
Ann Arbor Tri or Rockman Tri in early June
Peterborough HIM in July
Probably a sprint in here somewhere
Steelhead 70.3 in early Aug "AA"
Sylvania Oly in mid Aug
Another Oly in Sept, maybe the Great lake Escape in Ohio

No comments: