Sunday, March 29, 2020

End of the Month Wrap-Up

Practically speaking...it's the end of March and time to ramble on about it.

First thing - I canceled my Georgia Training Camp.  I hated to do it but I think it was the right thing to do. 

It keeps me and my training partners safe,
It may keep others safe.
It may put less strain on Georgia's health system.
It keeps me from breaking the law.
It enables to do some concentrated training without too much overload.
It enables me to participate in a remote research project.

What it doesn't do is let me play with my friends so I suppose it's a good trade-off.  I'm still not happy about it :(

Anywho, that's enough crying about it, I'll try not to do any more of it.

What's happened this month:

Swim
It started off well, I was feeling better in the water but it's been put on hold.

Bike
I've gotten my rest after the Arizona Camp.  Unlike last year when I got back into it too quickly, I basically a took a whole week off and then got back into it.  The second week back I held the volume down but added intensity, the third week I went back to 9 hours with the same intensity.  I'm going to give it one more harder week then back it down for some recovery whether I think I need it or not.

I think I'm improving on the bike again, I want to keep that going and will be roughly sticking to the 80/20 Olympic plan.  The only exception is that I will likely be riding longer and with less intensity on the weekend.

Run
Like on the bike I've gotten my rest after the Arizona Camp and eased back into training.  The last two weeks have been really solid training weeks and I've achieved my goals for intensity and volume.  I've done my short runs a little harder, completed my faster pace intervals on schedule and completed my longer runs at an easy pace to keep me ready for the next week.  I will also be sticking with the 80/20 Olympic plan with the run.  It's similar to the older EN plan I did back in 2009.

(By the way, if you haven't noticed you can find that plan in the Training Zone section on the right)

The Plan for the next month:

One more hard week then an easier week followed by three hard weeks.  I'm going to continue to train as if I am still racing in mid-May.  When swimming comes back I'll get back into the water, while I'm not the greatest swimmer, I am confident in the water and will pace myself according to my abilities.

If the USAT Cross Nationals are canceled then I'll be looking at Xterra Oak Mountain.  If Oak Mountain is canceled I'll start looking for another path.  It may be off road, short course road, long course or a combination of each.

No comments: