Thursday, March 26, 2020

About the Camp

We'd been planning it since last September.  We were supposed to go to Helen Georgia and ride the Gaps again.  I've done this every year since 2012.  Seven times with HFP and once with just my training partners.  This was going to be our second year on our own and planned 10 days instead of the usual 7.

In the past we did one epic ride after another.
Unicoi to Brasstown and back.
Helen 3 Gap
Helen 6 Gap
A long run to Ruby Falls
An easy day
100 mile ride around Devils branch and Clayton.

This year we were going to have a day off between most rides to recover.  On those days we were going to swim and run.  When the swimming got canceled we were concerned.  Our friends from Ohio canceled last week.  We waited until the last moment to cancel (14 days out) when we decided to pull out.  Our concerns were:

1.  We're pretty sure it's a misdemeanor to violate the Shelter at Home orders given by the Governor's of Michigan and Ohio.

2.  We didn't want to get ourselves or anyone else sick, which we all thought there was a very slim chance of doing because we were going to bring our own food and everyone had their own rooms.  We had no plans to go out and mingle with anyone.

3.  We thought that the Governor of Georgia (Kemp) was going to issue a Shelter at Home order which would have killed our training.

4.  We were concerned that if one of us got hurt we would have to access an "already strained" health system.

So, my next planned event was supposed to be USAT Cross Nationals in New Jersey.  While it hasn't been canceled, I think it will.  Second option was Xterra Oak Mountain (which was my original planned A race before Xterra canceled 70% of their USA races)  I'm going to continue to train as if the race is happening.  If it doesn't, I'll assess my situation then.

So that's where I stand now, hopefully this will blow over in the next 6 weeks and I can get back to the pool, velodrome and normal training.

No comments: