Friday, January 03, 2020

Ramble Ramble about the end of 2019

Things that have happened to me at the end of last season.

I hurt my left hamstring, to the point I sought professional help.  I've not gone that far before so it was a big learning experience.  Fortunately I have a friend that is a physical therapist and she was able to see me the day after I stopped running due to the injury.

Four weeks into therapy I was doing really well.  Pain was gone, I finished my racing season and thought I was on track to train for Long Course Nationals again but I hurt it again.  After that setback I let go of my interest in LCN and just went for recovery.

Along with that I was tired.  I had a difficult time getting my HR up for any workout, I knew I needed time off but never took it.  The hamstring injury presented a good time to get that time off.

I had started training for 2019 Triple T back in November with a lot of running.  I quickly got up to 45 miles per week, peaked at 50 and then went back to 40 when I added my bike training in January. 

I went to a training camp in Arizona with HFP and rode well, not at peak form but good for that time of year.  I then went to Georgia camp in mid April and rode well there.  Everything was going well but I was getting tired, by the time I got to Triple T camp I was beyond peak and on a downswing. 

I did well at Triple T but could have done better.  I was really gassed on the bike and run in the last race but still wound up winning the AG.  There were 2 to 3 people there that should have beat me but they had issues on Saturday that affected their Sunday race and 1 that I was able to out-run on Sunday.

After Triple T I raced a Sprint in each of the next two weekends.  I felt I did well in both of them but in reality I should have taken that time off.  Everything else went downhill from there.  I never ran well again, I was just tired all of the time.

By late August I got the hamstring injury and forced time off.

So what did I learn from this:

From looking at my training data, I have it all the way back from 2010 thanks to Garmin Connect, I noticed that I'm able to put 20 to 24 weeks of good training and then I need a break.  For several years I've had a good spring race, decent summer races and then the fall races were hit or miss.

The good fall seasons had 2 weeks of downtime in the summer which I think let me rest and rebuild up for the fall.

Also, when I noticed a twinge in my hamstrings it probably already too late to rehab and keep racing.  I need to keep them strong with strengthening and stretching.  I'm going to keep up that routine throughout my training schedule.








No comments: