Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Wells Fargo Morgantown Mountaineer Triathlon

Another points race done and I've got two weeks off from racing so I can get more work done.  I've been ~750 TSS for the last two weeks which has kept me fairly fresh for racing but not too light that I'd be losing fitness.  Now I'm planning on holding myself near 800 to 850 until I get about ten weeks out from Redman.

This race went pretty well, I've never been to this venue before and didn't really know what to expect.  It's funny how much better I can do at a race I've been to before, this one was a little suprising.

The swim was slightly long, not a bad thing since I swim OK, I was 6th out of the water at 29:55. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/192511766 Normally I'm a 22-23 min wetsuit swimmer so this was probably pushing 1800 meters.  Since I swam at the front so this was fairly uneventfull.  I found a pair of feet to follow early and it was a good fit for me but I lost him on the second loop while swimming through the people starting the Half and appear to have lost about a minute to him.  The only incident that I had was after passing someone that was doing the half, that person swam inside of my turn bouy (he had to go out a little further) and I ran him over after making my turn.  Not a dunk or anything, I just went over his back, really didn't mean it I just didn't see him as I was breathing to my right at that time.

The bike was a bit hilly and I calculated that it would take me about 1:15 to do it, I was close at 1:18:46. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/192511781 Since I wanted to have a good run I had to have a good bike plan and that was to ride up the hills near 240-250 watts and bomb the downhills.  I'm good at bombing downhills and this course made that easy since it was so straight.  The plan went really well but there was this lady driving a white Intrepid that passed me then waited behind some slower bikers and wouldn't pass them even when the road was clear to do so.  Then she would pass them and wait behind someone else.  This happed four times on the second loop, finally after passing her the fourth time I just rode out a little from the shoulder of the road so she wouldn't pass me again.  The downhills were fast.  I got up over 53mph, I think that's the fastest I've ever gone on a bike.  After getting back to transition I was wondering if I should have gone harder.

The run went pretty good for me and I think it was the best pace I've done in quite a while, I came in at 44:56 (6.27 miles). http://connect.garmin.com/activity/192511797  I averaged 7:10's for the run (which was slightly long but that's OK).  The last two races I went out really hard and tried to hold it, this time I wanted to start a little easier and keep the pace near goal pace which was 7:05 to 7:10.  That seemed to work much better as I wasn't winded at the start like I had been at Deer Creek and Maumee Bay and I never struggled to hold pace either.  The Garmin link shows a bit of an elevation change but I really didn't think it went up and down that much, it was a lot like running on Hines drive, very very gently rolling, I suppose it could have though.  The double out and back 10K was nice for spectators and the trail was a really nice run.  It was probably one of the nicest run venues that I've been to.

So overall a 2:35:23 which was good enough to get me 1st in AG and 9th overall.  Swim 6th, bike 10th and run 14th which is a little out of character for me on the bike, that's why I was thinking I should have gone a little harder on the bike.

No comments: