Monday, February 10, 2020

January's Rambling Roundup

After thoughts for January's training

Swimming
I had to take the first two weeks off of swimming because of the tattoo.  I started again on Jan 13th and am way behind where I have traditionally been.  I struggle to bring in 100's under 1:30 where before I had no problems being under 1:25.

I feel the best way to get past this is to be more consistent in the water.  I need at least 3 times a week and probably a 4th.

Bicycling
It's hard to say where I'm at on the bike, I've got more time in than last year but still do not have the volume that I'd like to be at.
6:47 First week
7:24 Second week
9:15 Third week
8:02 Fourth week

A lot of that has been done at the Lexus Velodrome as high power sprints and easy breaks in between them.  The 9 and 8 hour weeks are deceptive in that they include a lot of easy time.  I go to the Velodrome on Wednesday evenings and Saturday mornings.
Wednesdays I will warm up with 100 laps (~10 miles) and follow the direction of the coaches.  Normally that's 3X Flying Zeros, 2X Flying 200's, 800 from the Tempo line and 500 from the Tempo line.  I normally cool down with 100 laps again.
Saturdays I warm up with a run then do some strength training and running drills.  After that it's 100 laps on the track, various sprints and then 15 to 30 min cool down. (50-100 laps)

For the last two weekends (last of Jan and first of Feb) I've ridden 2 hours (on Zwift) before going to the Velodrome on Saturday.  I need to bump that up to at least 3 hours.  I also need to bump up Tuesday's ride (on Zwift) to be a little longer.  I didn't have a Thursday ride last week but before that I had either been riding easy or doing Cody Waite's workout. (on Zwift)

Running
I've been conservative in my running lately,  not the big miles like last year but still 25ish per week.  I've been doing a mix of easy running and intervals on 1 day.  I'd like to keep that volume near 30 miles per week for the month of February.  I'm still concerned about my left hamstring.  It isn't giving me any problems but I want to be safe.

Goals for the rest of the February
Be consistent in the pool.

Get the run volume up to 30 miles per week over 4 runs.

Get my bike volume up to a solid 9 hours per week.  Tues 2hrs, Wed 1.5 hrs Velodrome, Thurs 1.25 intervals on Zwift, Sat 3 hours before Velodrome and then sprints on the track.




No comments: