Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Going out on my own

Well I've broken away from my long time coach Mike Plumb after 4 terrific triathlon seasons.  During that time I've gone to Long Course Nationals twice, Triple T 4 times, Xterra USA Championships, local series races and a few Rev3 races.  I've also made USAT All American 3 times, I don't know about this year yet.

Just this year I've done particularly well with an expected mid-pack finish at Long Course World Championships, a 1st in AG at the Sprint at Maumee Bay, 1st in AG and 4th OA at Caseville Half, 1st in AG and 6th OA at Sylvania Sprint, 3rd in AG at Rev3 Cedar Point Half and 2nd in AG at Rev3 Florida Half.  This is mostly do to the coaching that I got from Mike Plumb at Tripower.org.

Now I'm moving on to do somehting a little different that having a coach wouldn't let me do.

Number one thing is that I'm going to work with my tri club FAST (swimfasttrifast.com) to put together a team of people to compete at USAT Nationals.  This is for anyone and everyone in the club regardless of their abilities.  I just want people to go and do the very best that they can.  In doing that I want to put together a few weekend camps at a local park where we can concentrate on triathlon all weekend.  I'm looking to do one in May, June and July.  Along with that I would like to put together a few single workouts to help people doing Long Course Nationals.

Personal goals for 2014 are to do the best that I can at Triple T in May, USAT Short Course Nationals in August and Xterra Nationals in Late September.

In route to doing that and being competitive I need to increase my run speed, I think I have plenty of endurance just lack the ability to run fast for short periods of time.  My current abiltiy to run a 44:00 10K in an Olympic distance triathlon is just not fast enough to be competitive on a national level.  I can only do so much with a fast bike ride and decent swim.  In the following posts I hope to document my improvements.  I've 46 years old and can't expect to keep getting faster for much longer, I think the next few years will be my fastest yet.

No comments: